Friday, June 3, 2011

The work bench plan

So the early chapters of this blog will be about setting up my shop. Projects to come will be a joiners chest, an set of drawers for layout & measuring tools, and a sharpening station. If I am doing hand tool woodoworking, which is well suited to smaller spaces, then an essential element is a good workbench. I've done lots of thinking about this project. I've done a bit of reading from some popular workbench books. I've decided that I will definately have a beautiful ash or hard maple continental work bench-someday. For now I am looking for a simple ans inexpensive design that will be just something i can work on. What do I need? Just the obvious, a small, solid work surface with a face & end vise of some sort  and some dog holes on the top. A recurring theme for me also is cheap.  I have 2 vises that I can use. One is a wimpy little thing and another larger heavier quick release. I waffle back & forth often which will be a face & which will be an end vise.
As far as construction, well this will be largely done with power tools and econonimical matierials. It will be similar to this bench from an old Fine Woodworking article without the pocket screws. http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=29507. It will have a pseudo mortise & tennon joint. The frame will be 3 or 4 laminations or 3/4" birch ply with 3 or 4 plys of MDF for the top. MDF is great for a top because it is flat, smooth, and heavy. Unfortunately the edges of MDF are a bit crumbly so I will need to wrap the edges in hardwood. I have a stash of red oak, so red oak it will be. The oak skirt around the top will be dovetailed at the corners. This is for practice, apearance, and strength. I also have debated some kind of of groove in the back of the skirt which will match a slightly oversized layer of the mdf top. The hope is it may tie the 2 parts together. There will be a couple of stretchers of plywood laminations with a threaded rod in the center to pull the 2 side leg assemblies together. I plan on one low shelf and a possible 2nd shelf just under the top since i will not include a tool tray. The top will be about 48"wide, 20" deep and the top will be about 29" high.
One of my fears is that the bench will not be heavy enough. If I am sawing or planing I don't want the table shaking or moving, or walking across the floor. Maybe my bottom shelf will be a 2 layer shelf with a hollow place I can fill with bricks? Not too sure yet. As my usual for me & my projects, there is no plan or drawings. This is just a nebulous and everchanging image in my head. This may be a good opportunity to learn sketchup... naw. If planned right though, this should be an easy cut list at the table saw, then some glue and assembly time to creat the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment