Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What do I have to blog about?

So what in the world do I have to blog about? Who needs another blog? Who in the world is gonna end up reading this anyway?

My intention here is to keep a journal of mostly hand powered woodworking. I have done a variety of powered woodworking for a while. I can't say I'm good, but I've got a clue. Recently I moved into a space that has little room for my table saw, miter stand, radial arm saw, router table, etc... What I may be able to do is set up a small work bench and start doing some more interesting work by hand.

Even before I had a change of space I was making a change in my woodworking anyway. Initially I assumed that anything that needed done was able to be done with power tools, or at least the right jig with a power tool. I had been learning that it takes a lot of time and energy to set up a cut on the table saw, make test cuts, & tune it up to get good fits. If only it was like watching Norm. Every joint fit perfectly the first time. More practical for many projects is hybrid working. Power to get the major work done, but hand tools to refine and tune the joints(planes and chisels etc). The biggest obstacle has been sharpening. I won't say that is past, but I am getting some of the job done. There have been a few other motivating/influencing factors. first is Roy Underhill of the UNC TV show the Woodwright's Shop. It is silly and hokey, at times, but neat to see "meat powered" work. Then I discovered the Renaissance Woodworker website with Shannan Rogers, and his Hand Tool School. Last is "The New Traditional Woodworker" by Jim Tolpin. I am also curious about the new book from Lost Art Press by Christopher Schwarz, "The Anarchist Tool Chest". I have that one on order. The point of many of these things is that my woodworking at home will be more about the journey, not the destination.

This is enough for now. I'll try to journal the projects I do, and my thoughts about them as I go. This will be for me as much or more than anyone else. The first project will not be hand done, but I will have to have a good workbench first of all. So I will write about that next.

I may even figure out stuff like adding links too...let's not be silly though.

No comments:

Post a Comment